September 29, 2020
News

Councillor: It’s up to the Government to fill €3.3 million gap

A Waterford Councillor has said that the council cannot be expected to do the governments “dirty work,” following a large cut in funding.

Last week councillors were notified of €3.3 million in cuts, due to a sharp drop in rates paid by Irish water.

Putting the onus on the confidence and supply parties of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil , Sinn Fein Cllr Connor D. McGuiness said:

“This shortfall arises from decisions taken by Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil at the national level and will disproportionately impact Waterford.

“The Council is expected to take a €3.3 million cut on the chin and to implement either savage cuts to services and funding, or to impose a rates increases of 13.5% on local businesses.

“I supported a cross-party motion that puts the ball firmly in the Government’s court and puts the onus on them to clean up the mess they created,” he added.

The West Waterford based Councillor will seek to meet with government Ministers over the coming days as part of a cross-party delegation.

He will also work with public representatives across all parties and none, seeking a resolution to the “mess.”

“Services are already stretched and under pressure.

“There are backlogs in roads improvement works and housing maintenance.

“Businesses in Waterford need security.

We have sent a message today to the highest levels of Government to tell them that a €3.3 million cut is not an option for Waterford City and County Council and neither is a 13.5% rates increase,” added Cllr McGuinness.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *