Fairer ‘fares’ for Waterford-Cork route following backlash from commuters
There was some good news for local commuters using the Waterford-Cork Bus Éireann service as more equitable charges come into effect next week.
Bus Éireann’s Route 40 running from Waterford to Cork has been heavily criticised for its pricing, which meant some passengers traveling further distances were paying much less than people being picked up in smaller villages and towns closer to either city.
Last year Cork TD James O’Conner set up a petition calling for an end to “extortionate” pricing on the route which saw some passengers being able to avail of much cheaper promotional fares due to the stop they were picked up at.
This meant commuters in Lemybrien and Kilmacthomas were paying more to travel to Waterford than people in Dungarvan, as those passengers could avail of a promotional fare. The same applied in the opposite direction where passengers in Youghal were paying twice as much to get to Cork than people in Dungarvan, despite being 32 kilometres closer to Cork city.
After receiving over 1,000 signatures on the petition, Bus Eireann finally relented and this week confirmed new fares will come into place from next week, which will be much more equitable for all passengers.
In total eight changes will be made to fares and bring them all into line with each other. The changes are as follows:
– Waterford to Kilmacthomas, Leamybrien: Reduced fares of €5 Single, €9.50 Return;
– Waterford to Dungarvan: Current promotional fares of €5 Single, €9.50 Return will become permanent;
– Waterford to Grange, Youghal, Killeagh, Castlemartyr, Midleton: Reduced fares of €15 Single, €20 Return;
– Waterford to Cork: Current promotional fares of €15 Single, €20 Return will become permanent;
– Cork to Midleton, Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Youghal, Grange: Reduced fares of €7 Single, €10 Return;
– Cork to Dungarvan: Current promotional fares of €7 Single, €10 Return will become permanent;
– Cork to Leamybrien, Kilmacthomas, Kilmeaden: Reduced fares of €15 Single, €20 Return;
– Cork to Waterford: Current promotional fares of €15 Single, €20 Return will become permanent;