October 22, 2020
News

COVID-19 UPDATE: Another 17 lose their lives as number of confirmed cases reaches 4,604

A further 17 people lost their lives from Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland in the last 24 hours, the HSE said this evening.

The total now stands at 331 in the Republic.

The number of confirmed cases has now reached 4,604 after another 137 were diagnosed.

In the North, eight died since yesterday while there are now 998 confirmed cases there following an increase of 94.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Principals and Deputy Principals (NAPD) has called on its members to donate their school’s surplus science laboratory personal protective equipment (PPE) to frontline services.

Significant stocks of PPE currently lie unused in secondary schools across the country and are now set to be made available to teams on the frontline.

The NAPD has issued a circular to its members, asking them to arrange for their school’s supplies of personal protective equipment to be transferred to local hospitals and nursing homes.

Principals have been guided to contact their local Garda station, who have committed to collecting all donated equipment from schools and facilitating its delivery to the HSE.

School principals can also make supplies available through the Office of Government Procurement website, here.

Earlier this week, medical staff  said that some of the new PPE imported from China, which was sent out to Covid-19 test centres, mobile ambulance units and hospitals, this week  is “not fit for purpose” and “unusable”.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *