March 29, 2020
News

COVID-19 LATEST: 20 new cases of Coronavirus confirmed

Twenty new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed this evening – bringing to 90 the total number of coronavirus cases in the Republic so far.

Nine new cases have been confirmed in Northern Ireland, bringing the total there to 29.

Of the 20 new cases in the Republic, six are associated with travel and 12 were contacts of confirmed cases. Four were health staff and two were community transmission.

In the Republic, 22 of the cases announced on Thursday derived from contact with a previously confirmed case, two involved healthcare workers and three involved travel from an at-risk area. Six patients, including three of the new cases, are in intensive care.

Meanwhile, the Health Service Executive (HSE) is in talks with hotels regarding isolation beds.

HSE chief executive Paul Reid today said it has significant offers from the sector.

He insisted the health service is still in control of the Covid-19 outbreak, but said the public needs to get behind the service to combat the spread of the virus.

“We are conscious that the public and staff have had many frustrations about healthcare delivery over many years, but I am calling on communities to really rally behind us in the HSE in a way you have never done before,” said Mr Reid.

Earlier today, Health Minister Simon Harris said all people coming back from Spain and Italy will be asked to restrict their movements for the next two weeks, which includes not going to work.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *