COVID-19 LATEST: All pubs asked to shut from tonight as 40 more cases of Coronavirus confirmed
All pubs have been asked to shut down from tonight as 40 more cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in Ireland.
The latest cases confirmed by the Department of Health brings to 169 the total number of affected patients in the Republic so far.
All pubs, including hotel bars, have been asked to close until at least March 29, in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19.
The Government has also strongly advised against house parties while the pubs are closed.
The Government called on all pubs and bars to close after discussions today with the Licenced Vintners Association (LVA) and the Vintners’ Federation of Ireland (VFI).
Health Minister Simon Harris said the shutdown of bars and pubs is not an excuse to have what he termed “Covid-19 parties”.
The minister said we need people to show “cop-on and decency”.
He added: “This is a very serious virus which has taken the lives of thousands across the globe and sadly two people here.”
Minister Harris said he genuinely hopes that people will see how serious this issue is, appealing to “understand the role you have to play”.
“The scenes like we saw last night in some locations, in particular in our capital city, were really disappointing when doctors and nurses are working flat out, to see people not showing that degree of social irresponsibly,” he said.
It comes after images and footage emerged on social media showing hundreds of people packed into pubs over the past two days.