July 26, 2021
News

‘This could happen to anyone’s son’ – families of Waterford acid attack victims vow to fight decision not to prosecute attackers

The families of victims who were injured in the acid attack in Waterford city last year have said they feel let down by the State.

The families of victims Tega Agberhiere, Padraig O’Sullivan and Oisin Daly Kililea received horrific injuries after they were attacked in the Earlscourt housing estate on the Dunmore Road last April.

In recent days the families were told that a decision by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) not to prosecute those responsible for the attack would be upheld.

The families have reacted with dismay over the past 24 hours. Tega’s mother Christy Agberhiere said it makes their situation even more upsetting.

“I feel very, very pained in my heart,” she said. “I have been let down, my son has been let down. The whole of my family has been let down. I just feel ashamed that a country like this there is no equality.”

Ms Agberhiere added: “I cannot take the laws into my hands. This is my son I am talking about. He has done nothing.”


Oisin’s father Martin said the families still hope to fight the decision, but he added: “I don’t know if we’ll be able to appeal it, and we’ll probably be fighting this for the next person this happens to.

‘This could happen to anyone’s son. This sort of thing gets a 20-year sentence in the UK and this decision sets a dangerous precedent here.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *